The Bible Museum of the Münster University, founded in 1979, is affiliated to the Institute for New Testament Textual Research. It reveals the history of the Bible from its handwritten beginnings to the modern day through roughly 400 exhibits.
The City Museum of Münster was founded in 1979 and since 1989 is to be found in Salzstraße. Alongside the museum foyer in the ground floor is also a row of shops. Over an area of 2.500 spm 1200 years of city history are presented in 33 cabinets.
The Münster Heritage Federation based in the historical gatehouse since 2014 has been the umbrella organization for 37 associations active in the care and preservation of cultural and regional heritage. The classical style gatehouse was built in 1778 by Wilhelm Ferdinand Lipper, the successor of Johann Conrad Schlaun, as a guard house.
The Geomuseum, founded in 1824, received its current look in 2011/2012. Using a comprehensive collection of exciting original objects, the exhibition represents our current knowledge of all processes in and on Earth, starting with the "Big Bang" and focusing on objects from Westphalia.
The museum surrounded by greenery brings together the gallery space, the art studios for patients / artists, an art archive, a specialist library, and a museum shop under just one roof. Since 1996, the house offers plenty of room for exhibitions, conferences, and projects dealing with contemporary art and psychiatry, Art Brut, and Outsider Art.
It is now twelve years since the Kunsthalle Münster (known before 2012 as the "Ausstellungshalle zeitgenössische Kunst Münster" - the Münster Exhibition Hall for Contemporary Art) took up residence in Speicher II in the docklands area.
The Kunstmuseum Pablo Picasso Münster, opened in 2000, is the first and up to now only Picasso Museum in Germany. Concealed behind landmarked facades right in the heart of Münster's old town, the building with its 800 Picasso lithographs houses a truly unique collection of international significance.
Looking a mammoth straight in the eyes, experiencing dinosaurs up close, seeing a native American up on his horse or traveling into the eternity of the universe - all this is possible at the LWL Museum of Natural History in Münster, featuring a planetarium that delivers the sharpest images in Germany.
The LWL-Museum für Kunst und Kultur in Münster is one of the largest art and cultural history museums in North Rhine-Westphalia. The museum was founded over 100 years ago as a symbol of civic commitment and now boasts a collection of roughly 450,000 objects.
Today, the Villa ten Hompel in Münster – former home of cement factory owner Rudolf ten Hompel during the Weimar Republic, regional headquarter of the order police during the Nazi regime, site of denazification and the regional department of indemnification in the post-war period – is a place of historical significance where history can be questioned and understood.
The Münster Academy of Art is an academy of fine arts offering postgraduate courses. Roughly 350 artists and teachers participate in an intense range of courses focusing on painting, sculpture, installation art, performance, photography, film, and new media.
The Zwinger was built in the early 16th century as a stronghold and turret. It was later used as a defensive tower, horse mill, powder store, prison, painter's studio, cultural center for the Hitler Youth, and, until its partial destruction in early 1945, by the Gestapo as a place to detain and execute political prisoners. As part of the "Sculpture Projects in Münster 1987", the artist Rebecca Horn installed the "Concerto in contrary motion" inside the Zwinger
The Museum of Lacquer Art is located in the heart of the city and is the only one of its kind in the world. The extensive collection of the museum comprises approximately 2,000 exhibits from East Asia, Europe, and the Islamic world with objects from the past two millennia and is displayed to visitors in changing themed exhibitions.
The association for the promotion of a porcelain museum in Münster was established on June 27, 2001 in the Kinderhaus Local Heritage Museum in order to review the history of porcelain painting in Münster and Westphalia between 1840 and 1990. During this period, there were 12 different porcelain painter's workshops in Münster alone; the most important one was run by August Roloff (1919-1955), a porcelain painter trained at Porzellanmanufaktur Fürstenberg.
The Rüschhaus House, built between 1745 and 1749 by the Baroque master builder Johann Conrad Schlaun (1695 – 1773) as his own country seat, is both a jewel of late baroque architecture and a memorial to Annette von Droste-Hülshoff (1797 – 1848).
Founded in 1831, the Westfälischer Kunstverein is one of the oldest art associations in Germany and enjoys international standing. The Kunstverein still promotes and establishes young contemporary art to this day and, from the post-war period by the latest, has assumed significant responsibility for the sponsorship of young, up-and-coming artists on an international level in the field of visual art in the City of Münster.
The Wewerka Pavillon is the showroom of the Münster Academy of Art. It was designed in 1987 by the architect and artist Stefan Wewerka for the documenta 8 in Kassel. As a loan from its owner, Axel Bruchhäuser, the pavilion was transferred to Münster and installed close to Tormin Bridge on the banks of Lake Aa.